Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Autumn Themed Tree


I fell in love with this little branch in my stock pile and I just knew I had to make something interesting out of it. Again, I went for an Autumn theme and I used the same autumn themed silk flowers that I found at my local craft store, but I used a different color (fall yellow), and I spray painted the branch a metallic gold to give it a "metal" look. I hung darling little acorns that fell from the Oak tree in my front yard and I also spray painted those metallic gold. I had to glue on the acorn heads before I painted them because most of the acorns did not have heads. I used a black and gold nylon string to hang them from the tree. I knew I wanted a "blocky" base. Previously I had experimented with a manzanita burl slab, but now I just wanted to use the whole burl as a base. I had cut the sides of a round burl to make it in the shape of a short rectangle. I sanded it down and then I gave a few coats of gloss. I drilled a hole in the middle of the burl base and secured the branch trunk into the hole with a generous amount of wood glue.

No comments:

Post a Comment